Saturday, July 25, 2020

Interview : Dr Patricia Wexler, Dermatologist

For years, Dr. Patricia Wexler, the acclaimed dermatological surgeon featured in New York Magazine‘s “Best Doctors” issues, has been an industry leader. She has refined and reshaped the faces and bodies of over 15,000 individuals who rely on her cutting-edge expertise, and honest, straight-forward approach. An innovator and artist, Dr. Wexler was one of the first dermatologists to use Botox®. She pioneered tumescent liposuction and fat transplantation, and is instantly evaluating the latest in fillers, lasers, and body sculpting techniques.

Known for her attention to body symmetry, and her dedication to meeting patients’ personal goals with only the most natural results, she has a loyal following of patients including royalty, A-list celebrities, fashion designers, musicians, and artists.

1)  Did you always want to be a dermatologist? 

Yes, I have always wanted to become a doctor. I first went into internal medicine and infectious diseases at Mount Sinai, and I was actually the first in my group of young doctors to study HIV and HIV related blood transfusions in 1980. There is a connection between infectious diseases and dermatology because you can use and examine the skin to diagnose, so when the head of dermatology asked me if I was interested in the field, I said yes. 

2) Do you find that, as a dermatologist, you get to focus on your favourite things? 

Yes, when I studied my under-graduate work at NYU, I majored in science and minored in art history and I feel like there’s a connection between art, contouring and sculpting with cosmetic dermatology. This is one of the reasons why I fell in love with cosmetic dermatology, I am able to sculpt and contour patients to help them achieve the look they’ve always wanted.  Joining this field gave me the opportunity to visit and shadow doctors around the country, learning the latest cutting-edge technology and procedures, and making them my own. 

3) What is your typical day-to-day like at your practice?

I typically arrive at the office around 8:30am alongside my husband and colleagues. I like to settle in when I get there, by eating my breakfast and reading the newspaper before the first patient arrives. I schedule my patients between 30 minutes and one hour, so no one is ever waiting. We have a large office with multiple exam rooms which works well for our staff. While one patient is numbing, I can check in on the next. We close every day from 12:30pm-2:00pm so the office can have lunch together. I think it’s important to have a break during the day and be able to connect with one another and if lunch ends early, we can have group meetings to discuss office policies or new procedures. 

4) During this pandemic, what are your top tips for keeping skin in check?

One of the biggest skin concerns and complaints during this pandemic that I have received is maskne; I have seen a lot of patients coming into the office with breakouts from wearing a mask all day. I have been recommending using a gentle cleanser before and after wearing a mask to thoroughly cleanse the skin. After cleansing, I recommend moisturizing with a rich barrier repair cream that has ingredients like hyaluronic acid or ceramides, which can serve as a barrier between your face and mask, protecting the pores. Using a salicylic acid or clay mask can be helpful for active breakouts and if it is pustular or cystic consulting a dermatologist may be necessary. Most importantly, make sure your masks are changed frequently and kept clean. 

5) Dr. Wexler, please share your current skincare routine. Are there any prescription products you’re a fan of?

I currently use the My Clarins Re-Move Micellar Cleansing Milk, followed by my Patricia Wexler MD Cream Cleanser and finish with a The Ordinary 2% salicylic acid lotion once to twice a day. I use SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator both in the morning and evening, and at night I finish my routine with Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar. 

6) What are some of the in-office treatments you get on a frequent basis?

One of my favorite treatments is the Aerolase Neo, which is a short pulse laser treatment that decreases redness and pigmentation in the skin and increases collagen rejuvenation with no downtime at all. It is great during this time of year, when the sun and heat tend to increase rosacea, pigmentation and photodamage. Another one of my favorite treatments is Ultherapy, which is focal, high intensity ultrasound which tightens the neck, jawline and face giving a non-surgical face lift with virtually no downtime and is only necessary to do every 2-3 years. Until recently I have not done filler, but I recently had a thread lift which as an alternative, gave me the appearance of life and filling to my nasolabial folds and cheeks. Which I needed because of my lack of cooking ability during the pandemic. 

7) What are some in-office procedures you’d never offer to patients?

I would never give them a non-FDA approved product. I would never offer a patient a procedure that they are asking for that feels inappropriate, such as filler that would be excessive for their face. For example, people who come in with dysmorphic body image, who already have filler and ask for more, or ask for a toxin when I feel it could cause an appearance that could look unnatural or laser on skin that’s too dark and could cause an adverse reaction, or liposuction when their skin has too much laxity and could cause damage. I would try to offer alternative measures and give them an appearance of improvement, but not actually what they are asking for. 

8) What’s the most challenging part of your job?

I think the most challenging part of the job is making sure all of my patients are happy, healthy and safe. We work extremely hard on making sure each patient looks and feels amazing after their procedures. We work together on finding a solution to their problems.

9) What do you think is the secret to flawless skin?

There are multiple steps to flawless skin. I would say never go to bed with makeup on, even if you’re using makeup remover pads. And definitely use broad spectrum SPF at all times, 365 days a year! Sitting by a window is giving you sun damage, I can’t emphasize enough how important sun protection is. If you are going outside, I recommend wearing a hat with a large brim and wearing polarized sunglasses. I’ve had four patients, all women with light eyes, with melanoma of the retina, and you can’t dismiss macular regeneration. If you are inside and at your screen all day, I recommend using glasses to block and protect yourself from blue light damage. 

It is also important to avoid environmental damage, avoid tobacco and smoking and excessive alcohol use can cause long-term damage to the skin. I always recommend drinking  plenty of fluids and using antioxidants topically. And after all of that, I hope you have a great Summer! 

10) Lastly, is there any chance you’ll bring your skincare line back?

We are working to bring back the skincare line, hopefully we will have good news in the near future. 

Credits

https://wexlerdermatology.com/

https://www.instagram.com/wexlerdermatology



Read full article: https://complexion-me.tumblr.com/post/624609873142939648

No comments:

Post a Comment